mind & body
Where cutting-edge wellness and ancient healing traditions come together for the best in holistic and integrative care.
Depression is both a common and a serious condition. There are many feelings and symptoms associated with depression and often times people find that the symptoms interfere with daily life. Most people who experience depressive symptoms never seek treatment.
Symptoms of Depression:
- Persistent sadness and/or feelings of emptiness
- Excessive anxiety
- Feelings of hopelessness
- Guilt, worthlessness or helplessness
- Irritability and restlessness
- Loss of interest in activities or hobbies once pleasurable
- Fatigue, decreased energy
- Difficulty concentrating an making decisions
- Insomnia, wakefulness, or excessive sleeping
- Overeating or loss of appetite
- Thoughts of suicide
Psychotherapy is often the first form of treatment recommended for depression. There are many different approaches to treatment that are effective. After talking with a person about their depression, the therapist will decide which approach to take based on suspected underlying factors.
Often times psychotherapy is useful with helping people understand and identify the life events that contribute to their depression, restructure ways of thinking and negative attitudes that facilitate depression, and understand the behaviors and ideas that contribute to their depression. Often after therapy people are able to regain a sense of control and pleasure in their lives and learn coping techniques.