John W. Price
mind & body
Therapy for individuals, couples, & families in The Healing Space. Let us help you to feel empowered and get you on a positive path to growth and well-being.
Acceptance & Commitment Therapy
Struggling is a Strength
ACT is an intervention based around the idea that our minds are incredible tools used to help us evaluate, anticipate, interpret, and solve, among the many other beautiful abilities. Although, when this tool is turned back on us it means that we are seeking to find the “issue” we must solve…but we are part of that issue. ACT helps us approach distress in a different way, turning towards the struggle and seeing your struggle as a strength. Some important points to consider from Steven Hayes (2005):
- Psychological pain is normal, it is important, and everyone has it.
- You cannot deliberately get rid of your psychological pain, although you can take steps to avoid increasing it artificially.
- Pain and suffering are two different states of being.
- You don’t have to identify with your suffering.
- Accepting your pain is a step toward ridding yourself of your suffering.
- You can live a life you value, beginning right now, but you will have to learn how to get out of your head and into your life.
The Hexaflex from ACT indicating that with all of these six core aspects one may reach desired psychological flexibility.