body & mind
Let us assist you in achieving a smooth, natural return to health and quality of life through the expert application of the ancient, holistic art of Traditional Chinese Medicine in an integrative medicine environment.
Mei Zen Face & Neck Lift Cosmetic Acupuncture Houston
Face & Neck Lift Cosmetic Acupuncture
Why cosmetic acupuncture instead of injections or surgery?
Cosmetic acupuncture offers an overall rejuvenation that is not confined to your face. This means that by addressing your cosmetic concerns in this way, you will feel better all over – your health will have actually improved!
A study in The Journal of Clinical Acupuncture shares that, with cosmetic acupuncture, 90% of clients have marked improvement in their faces and experience an overall rejuvenation that is not confined to the face. This is why we can call Cosmetic Acupuncture procedures “Anti-Aging Treatments” because they affect overall health in a positive way. Clients will look and feel younger. In some ways, they will actually be younger because their energetic systems will be working better. In other words, their outward beauty and youthful appearance will be the result of inner fitness.
Why does it work?
Cosmetic Acupuncture treatments promote the circulation of Qi (energy) and Blood in the face. Increased blood circulation to the face moistens the skin and promotes collagen production for increased muscle tone and elasticity. From a Western medicine perspective, it is thought that the needling creates the production of more collagen and elastin in the face. We do the sessions twice a week for five weeks to effectively reorganize the collagen and elastin in the dermal layer of the skin on your face.
Anti-aging Cosmetic Acupuncture is less expensive, healthier, and safer than the modern treatments. It’s virtually risk-free (temporary bruising is the most likely of its risks) and there are none of the side effects of facelift surgery, lasers, and injections like: numbness, scarring, muscle atrophy, migration of injections, and lengthy recovery time. Clients’ faces will never look stretched, burned, puffy, or “banded.”
In a nutshell:
- Reduction of wrinkles
- Erasing of fine lines and reduction of deeper lines
- Reduction of saggy-ness
- Lifting of droopy eyelids
- Clearing or reduction of age spots
- Evened skin tone, especially where acne and rosacea are concerned
- Softer, more vibrant skin
- Smoother cheeks
- Age spots can fade
- The beginnings of jowls can be minimized. It cannot eliminate a “waddle” but will definitely define the jaw line in women who are just beginning to lose definition
- Can catch aging before it happens
- An overall improved sense of well-being and health (remember we are treating the whole body)
Are there contraindications or anyone unsuited to cosmetic acupuncture?
Cosmetic Acupuncture is not indicated for anyone fitting the following description:
- Has any type of seizure disorder
- Has uncontrolled or unmanaged hypertension
- Takes blood-thinning drugs (even baby aspirin) for medically necessary reasons. These drugs can make you bruise more easily.
- Is pregnant
- Smokes or drinks alcohol to excess
- Recently received facial injections of any kind…you will want to wait until those have worn off. Go ahead and call to schedule, but we will schedule your first session a few months out.
- Would be unable to tolerate a bruise… bruising is a possibility at the needling site, though painless and temporary
What should I wear?
Wear comfortable clothes or bring them with you to change into. You’ll want your top to be wide-necked and your sleeves to be short or able to push up to the elbow. If you wear pants, they should be able to be pushed up to the knees comfortably.
Anything I can do to minimize bruising?
- Stop taking any supplement which is a blood thinner (only if they are not medically necessary, of course!). Some common supplements that can thin your blood are Vitamin E, Aspirin and Baby Aspirin.
- You can take Arnica before and during the course of your treatments.
- Avoid exercise before arriving to your appointment. Better to do your exercise afterward.
- Do not steam, sauna or take a hot shower before your treatments.
Does it hurt?
There can be a minor “pinching” sensation when the pins are inserted, but the sensation lasts only a split second. You will not be in pain once the pins are in. In fact, you will probably rest better & feel more peaceful than you have in a while 🙂
Are the pins just in my face?
No, you will be getting a full body treatment. We will go over your constitution and health complaints to address those issues while at the same time working on the appearance of your skin. As mentioned, this protocol is about maximizing your overall wellness and vitality which is why we can call it the “true anti-aging medicine”.
Can I wear makeup to my appointments?
You should arrive with a clean face, free of makeup. If that is not possible, I have a gentle, safe cleanser from Beautycounter you can use to wash your face at my office. This is a brand I trust to be free of anything harmful to your health…parabens, phthalates, fragrances, heavy metals, endocrine disruptors and the like. I will also use products made by Mei Zen, about which I feel the same way. They are both lines which offer safe, effective products that are also luxurious and effective.
What else can I do to maximize the effects of my treatments?
I will make skin care, nutrition and other lifestyle recommendations for you as well as discuss herbal and nutritional supplements to help you get the best results possible.
To maintain results, monthly tune-ups are advised. At the very minimum, 1 treatment every 3 months is advised. Some do the 10 treatment protocol once a year to go into fall/winter holiday season feeling and looking their best.
Continue to follow your skincare, lifestyle and nutritional recommendations
Leila-Scott’s acupuncture facelift procedure is absolutely amazing! Within a week of my first session, you could already see that deep wrinkles were more shallow and some fine lines were on their way to gone. Any early skepticism I had was erased along with the lines on my face. I had been at a place where I was starting to feel I looked old when I looked in the mirror. That is no longer the case. The results are that good. Additionally, her pleasant professional demeanor and lovely office space gives a relaxing spa-like feel to the experience. If you are considering some type of anti-aging procedure, I cannot encourage you enough to take advantage of Leila-Scott’s unparalleled skill.